History of the Institute of Plastic Working and Safety Engineering

     The Institute was created in 1950 within the Department of Rolling - Faculty of Metallurgy, and it was the beginning of the existence of the "plastic working of metals" speciality at the University of Technology in Czestochowa. The first Head of the Department was MSc. Kazimierz Wrzesień who was the director of the steelworks in Czestochowa at that time. During this period, the academic staff included the following professors: F. Olszak, M. Dubowicki, J. Lesiecki of AGH and industry workers. In the years 1954-1955 the Department was managed by Professor Stanislaw Turski, who was also supervising construction of the mill crusher and the continuous billet mill at the "Bobrek" steelworks. In 1955, Associate Professor Marian Schneider took the lead over the Department. At this time, MSc. Zbigniew Błażejowski took the position of an assistant. Renaming the WSI into Czestochowa University of Technology, which took place in 1956, coincided with the establishment of the Department of Metal Forming consisting of two departments: Theory and Technology of Plastic Forming, and Equipment and Machines for Plastic Forming. Eng. Vaclav Kowalczyk also started his work for the Department then. During the academic year of 1957-1958, Associate Professor Marian Schneider served as the vice-rector of the University. Starting from 1956, Assistant Professor Stanislaw Turski held the position of the Dean for two terms. After his retirement in 1961, prof. Mikolaj Kowalewski took over the leadership. In the same year MSc. Fryderyk Knap started working at the Department. The Department occupied rooms on the first floor of the University building facing the Dabrowski Street. The number of students was increasing, therefore, more faculty members were needed. The Department offered both full-time and part-time studies. Dissertations from the field of plastic working of metals became possible. Since 1959 Stefan Zwolski held the position of a laboratory technician. MSc. Wojciech Sobczyński and MSc. Bogumil Konodyba were employed in 1965, and M. Sc. Krystyna Mielczarek and MSc. Czeslaw Cichon in 1968. Prof. Mikolaj Kowalewski served as the Vice-Rector for Academic Affairs in the years 1967-69. His contacts enabled organization of numerous international traineeships for students across Western Europe. The first Doctor of Technical Sciences degree within the Department was obtained by MSc. Fryderyk Knap in 1968, and then in 1971 by M. Sc. Bogumil Konodyba. In 1970, the University was reorganized, which resulted in creation of the Institutes. For this reason, the Department of Metal Forming became a part of the Institute of Technology of Metals. Associate Professor Eng. Fryderyk Knap held the position of a Director for three consecutive terms. During the same year, MSc. Jan Pilarczyk and MSc. Boguslaw Kukuryk started their work. In 1971 M. Sc. Henryk Dyja and MSc. Elżbieta Labuda were employed, and in 1972 - Associate Professor Eng. Anthony Chojkowski and MSc. Marek Piekarski. During that time the Department also employed scientific and technical staff: MSc. Zbigniew Muskalski, M. Sc. Henryk Skorek, Eng. Stanisław Gardas and Alicja Chałubek. In 1973 Mikołaj Kowalewski retired from his post. The list of consecutive Directors includes: MSc. Zbigniew Błażejowski (1973 ÷ 1976), Associate Professor Eng. Anthony Chojkowski (1976 ÷ 77) and Associate Professor Eng. Fryderyk Knap (1977 ÷ 1988). In 1974, M. Sc. Henryk Dyja and MSc. Elżbieta Łabuda were transferred to the Academy of Mining and Metallurgy in Krakow, Faculty of Metallurgy, for Doctor Studies. They obtain their PhD degrees in 1977 and 1979. In 1975, when the pavilions of the Metallurgy Department were ready to use, the Department moved to its new premises at Armii Krajowej 19 (d. Zawadzki) - third floor of the south wing, where it is located till today. The group of researches was joined by: MSc. Stefan Bidas, MSc. Marian Łakomy and later MSc. Mirosław Kik. Further PhD degrees obtained at the Faculty of Metallurgy: MSc. Wojciech Sobczyński (1977), M. Sc. Bogusław Kukuryk (1978), M. Sc. Jan W. Pilarczyk (1978), M. Sc. Czesław Cichoń (1981). In 1980, MSc. Marek Piekarski, who was completing his Doctor Studies in Mariupol, obtained his PhD degree at the University of Technology in Donetsk (Ukraine). In the 70's and 80's the classes were also taught by: MSc. Zygmunt Korek, PhD. Eng. Kazimierz Franusiak, D. Sc., M.Sc. Eng. Kazimierz Rytel and doc. MSc. Joachim Jońca who offered their extensive experience and knowledge to our students. In 1980-1983 PhD. Eng. Henryk Dyja was the Vice Director of the Institute of Technology of Metals.In 1986 the Department signed a three-year contract with Associate Professor Eng. Leonid N. Lesik from the University of Technology in Donetsk and in 1987 with Associate Professor Eng. Alexander M. Galkin from the Moscow Institute of Steel and Alloys. At that time the group of the Department’s researchers was joined by: MSc. Jaroslaw Markowski, M. Sc. Stanislaw Kasprzyk and later - MSc. Wojciech Gorak and Maria Szczerba (in the secretariat). In 1988, Prof. PhD. Eng. Bogdan Golis became the Head of the Department, also acted as the Dean of the Faculty in the years 1987-90. Associate Professor Eng. F. Knap was the Vice-Dean then. In 1990, the Faculty hosted Henryk Dyja’s habilitation colloquium, and Fryderyk Knap’s in 1992. In 1994, Ph.D. Eng. Bogumił Konodyba-Szymanski completed his habilitation thesis at the Academy of Mining and Metallurg. The positions of extraordinary professors of the Department were offered to Associate Professor Eng. Henryk Dyja (1992) and then Associate Professor Eng. Fryderyk Knap (1994). In the years 1990-1996 Associate Professor Eng. Henryk Dyja acted as the Vice Dean of the Faculty for Academic Affairs, and in the years 1996-2002 as the Dean of the Faculty. Between 1996 and 1999 the Vice Dean for Extramural Studies was PhD. Eng. Czeslaw Cichoń. Professor nominations were received by prof. Henryk Dyja (1998) and prof. Fryderyk Knap (2000). On January 1st, 2000, the Minister of Education appointed professor Henryk Dyja for the position of a full professor. Some time later, two other professors received nominations for the same position: prof. B. Golis (2001) and prof. F. Knap (2003). Since 1994 the group of our employees also includes professor. Eng. Maciej Pietrzyk of AGH. Within the next few years the Department hired more scientists from AGH: Associate Professor Eng. Jan Kusiak, Associate Professor Miroslaw Głowacki, PhD. Eng. Józef Kobic and PhD. Eng. Barbara Głut. In 1997 a habilitation colloquium for PhD. Eng. Jan W. Pilarczyk took place. In the years 1996-1997 the Department held a doctoral scientific internship for Asst. PhD. Eng. Leonid N. Lesik from Donetsk (Ukraine). One year later, he defended his habilitation thesis at the Faculty and therefore gained a postdoctoral degree and took a permanent job at the Department. In the years 1994-97, the Department was employing Marek Rembisz as a technical worker. Later he got promoted and, after finishing his studies in law, became the Site Director of the Department of Metallurgy and Materials Engineering, and in 2002 the Administrative Director of the Czestochowa University of Technology. In 1997, M.Sc. Paweł Korczak defended his doctoral thesis at the Faculty and in 1998 M.Sc. Jarosław Markowski, M. Sc. Robert Kruzel and M. Sc. Zbigniew Muskalski completed their doctorial thesis (the latter in the Central Institute of Mining). On September 1st, 1999, the Institute of Modelling and Automation of Plastic Working Processes was created in place of the old Department. In 2000, as the first Pole ever, prof. Bogdan Golis received the Mordica Memorial Award - the world's highest distinction awarded by the WAI-USA for contribution to the development of drawing. Prof. Bogdan Golis is the Vice President of the Wire Association International - Poland Chapter (International Drawing Association in Poland), located at the Faculty of Process and Materials Engineering and Applied Physics of our University. The following PhD students successfully completed their doctoral thesis in 2001: M.Sc. Marcin Knapiński, M.Sc. Anna Kawałek, M.Sc. Dariusz Rydz, M.Sc. Tomasz Dyl. In 2001, prof. Andriy Milenin (from the National Metallurgical Academy of Ukraine in Dnipropetrovsk) started working for the Institute at the position of an associate professor. In 2002, the Institute welcomed Associate Professor Eng. Kazimierz Jagieła and PhD. Eng. Dmytro Svyetlichny (also from NMA) in 2003. In 2003 Andriy Milenin became a professor of technical sciences, and was employed as a full professor. In 2002, prof. Henryk Dyja. And Dr. Eng became the Rector of the Czestochowa University of Technology, while PhD. Eng. Elżbieta Łabuda acted as the Vice Dean for Extramural Studies. In the same year, on February 26th, prof. Henryk Dyja was honoured with the title of Doctor Honoris Causa of the National Academy of Ukraine in Dnepropetrovsk (Ukraine), and in 2004 with the title of Honorary Professor of the Moscow Institute of Steel and Alloys - University of Technology (Russia). Professor Henryk Dyja is the first Pole and the first foreigner who received the highest award of the Academy in Dnepropetrovsk. Regarding national awards, PhD.Eng. Dariusz Rydz received the 2nd Prize of the PAN (Polish Academy of Sciences) Committee of Mechanics for the year 2003, and Associate Professor Eng. Jan W. Pilarczyk D.Sc., M.Sc. received the Mordica Memorial Award 2004, awarded by the Wire Association International for international activity. In 2002, M.Sc. Sebastian Mróz obtained the title of Doctor of Technical Sciences; in 2003 M.Sc. Sylwia Wiewiórowska and MSc. Grzegorz Banaszek; in 2004- M.Sc. Marlena Krakowiak, M.Sc. Łukasz Cieslak, M.Sc. Józef Radecki, and in 2005 - M.Sc. Bartosz Koczurkiewicz, M.Sc. Piotr Szota, M.Sc. Szymon Berski and M.Sc.. Marcin Janik. In 2004, two postdoctoral examinations took place: Ph.D. Eng. Dmytr Svyetlichny and PhD. Eng. Zbigniew Muskalski. Based on the WAI’s award, the Polish Branch of WAI decided to award researchers for their contribution to the development of the drawing industry in Poland, therefore Marian Schneider’s (the father of Polish drawing) award was established. The first award was given to Franz Branders (the Director of „Le Four Industrie” from Belgium) in April 2002 for implementation of a patent line in a fluidized bed in a few Polish plants and elimination of patenting in lead. Another cyclic seminar about modern drawing methods organised by the Polish Branch of WAI took place on December 8th, 2006 in the factory producing ropes and wires “DRUMET S.A.”. Two further Schneider’s awards were given away on that occasion: the first one for Janusz Kacprzak, MSc. Eng., and the second one for prof. Bogdan Golis. The year 2007 was full of scientific advances. A doctoral degree was obtained by: M.Sc. Rafal Dobrakowski, M.Sc. Bartłomiej Pikos, M.Sc. Tomasz Garstka, M.Sc. Maciej Suliga, M.Sc. Joanna Michalik, M.Sc. Marcin Kwapisz. Based on the decision from December 21st, 2007, the President of Poland conferred on Assoc. Eng. John W. Pilarczyk his qualification as a university professor. In 2008, a habilitation colloquium for PhD Eng. Sebastian Mróz took place. In the years 2008-2009, doctoral degrees were received by: M.Sc. Grzegorz Stradomski, M.Sc. Andrzej Stefanik, M.Sc. Jacek Michalczyk, M.Sc. Konrad Laber and M.Sc. Sylwester Sawicki, while PhD. Eng. Dariusz Rydz (for WIPMiFS) and PhD.Eng. Anna Kawałek (TU Ostrava) obtained their postdoctoral degrees. The secretariat of the Institute was employing the following people: Zofia Dudek, Edyta Peryga, Katarzyna Sikorska, Beata Gorgoń, and Anna Radecka. The Institute has been working for many years with the Steelworks in Czestochowa, Sendzimir Steelworks, Bankowa Steelworks, Zawiercie Steelworks, and Wire & Rope Factory "Drumet SA", as well as smaller industrial plants from the surrounding and other regions. At the beginning of its existence, the Department (and later the Institute) hired many people who have served many functions within the organizational structures of the University and the Faculty, as well as national community organizations, including PAN, SITPH, NOT, TNOiK, and international organizations, such as the Wire Association International (WAI).

February 2010 - Staff and PhD students of the Institute

pracownicy 2010
Starting from the left, first row: J.W. Pilarczyk, A. Kawałek, H. Dyja, E. Łabuda, A. Radecka, Z. Muskalski; next rows from the left (II) M. Suliga, D. Rydz, S. Wiewiórowska, R. Dobrakowski, J. Michalczyk, G. Stradomski, M. Knapiński; (III) T. Garstka, G. Banaszek, S. Berski, M. Krakowiak, P. Szota, S. Mróz, T. Bajor, D. Półka; (IV) N. Torbus, J. Snopek, M. Makowska, P. Sygut, R. Włudzik, M. Pełka, T. Dembiczak, K. Laber; (V) P. Bartosiński, M. Kucharska, P. Murawski, P. Szyiński, M. Buc, K. Sobczak, T. Skura, Ł. Sołtysiak; (VI) Ł. Gaj, S. Wąsek, M. Bartosik, J. Adamczyk, B. Koczurkiewicz, M. Janik, M. Kwapisz

 

       In the years 2009-2011 the following people obtained their Ph.D. degree: M.Sc. Marcin Pełka, M.Sc. Rafał Włudzik, M.Sc. Piotr Sygut, M.Sc. Mariola Sygut, and M.SC. Kriillow V. Ozhmegov. In the years 2011-2012 the habilitated doctor degree was received by PhD Eng. Marcin Knapiński and PhD. Eng. Sylwia Wiewiórowska. In 2012 the old Department was replaced with the Institute of Plastic Working Processes and Safety Engineering. On June 6th, 2013 the Senate of the Czestochowa University of Technology unanimously agreed to honour prof. Henryk Dyja with the title of Doctor Honoris Causa. In 2014 Kamila Sobczak, Angelika Pawlak, Seweryn Wąskek, Tomasz Skura and Łukasz Sołtysiak were awarded a PhD degree, while PhD Eng. Maciej Suliga became a habilitated doctor.
     
On December 9th, 2014 the Ukrainian Ministry of Education and Science together with the Rectors Council from Universities of Zaporizhia Oblast awarded prof. Henryk Dyja D. Sc., M.Sc. with doctor title and Assoc. prof. Marcin Karpiński, D.Sc., M.Sc. with Honoris Causa for their service and contribution to the development of science and cooperation between Poland and Ukraine.

 

     The employees of the Institute teach classes at the Faculty of Production Engineering and Materials Technology and supervise diploma theses for full time and part time engineering and master’s studies. During all those years, over 1,500 people received their engineer and master’s degrees in the Institute. At the present time, the Institute can show off with a large group of PhD students who are developing scientifically and preparing their PhD theses under the watchful eye of their promoters, while receiving support from the other employees. Our graduates find employment in many industries and are highly valued workers. After graduation, our graduates gladly visit the Institute, because the place is devoted to creating good scientific atmosphere, while focusing on cooperation between students and employees and building relationships with graduates.